Coconuts have long held their position as a pivotal food source for people in tropical regions — and a fruit that's pretty tricky and difficult to remove from its hard and husky shell. Although the idea of opening this superfruit might seem like an intimidating task, the delicious inside and wide spectrum of nutritional benefits are well worth the effort.
1. Raw coconut is rich in dietary fibre, which may boost your health by supporting digestion, boosting metabolism, and normalizing bowel movements.
2. The fibre in raw coconut may also lower the amount of LDL (low-density lipoprotein) "bad" cholesterol in your bloodstream thereby protecting you against heart disease.
3. Rich in medium-chain triglycerides (a healthy type of dietary fat) raw coconut may keep you feeling satiated for longer leading to a reduced calorie intake over time and consequently, weight loss.
4. Coconut meat is high in the trace mineral Manganese, which helps you metabolise both protein and fats — and also supports stable blood sugar levels.
5. Providing significant amounts of Copper (important for the production of red blood cells and sense of taste) and Potassium (necessary for proper heart function and muscle growth), raw coconut is truly a tropical powerhouse worth including in your diet.